Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year

Another year has almost passed and it’s time again for my yearly review. In hopefully one day I will fly home to Germany to spend the holidays with my parents and sister. Let’s hope for some warmer temperatures, as the weather has been really bad, especially in Germany, the UK and France. Luckily, this year I do not have a stand-by but a confirmed ticket. So, hopefully this will help me to somehow make it to Bremen Thursday morning.

2010 has been a year of lots of snow, travelling, weddings and a marathon (David).

In January I treated myself to a trip to Cancun, Mexico after all the hard studying in 2009. My friend Katie and I stayed at an all inclusive resort at the beach for 5 nights and we enjoyed the weather and the ocean.

February was the month of SNOW. We had two huge snowstorms within a week, getting approximately 3 feet of snow, which was very surprising as we already had a huge snowstorm at the end of Dec-09. The government closed down for 4 days. So, David was happy as he was studying for one of his CPA exams. BTW - both of us are now licensed CPA's. ;-)

One of the things I wanted to do after my CPA exam was taking a trip to Charleston, SC and Savannah, GA. So, when my mom came to visit in April it was the perfect opportunity to take this trip. I had been to Charleston once before, but unfortunately didn't get to spend much time sightseeing. So, I was really happy to finally get to see the beautiful southern mansions and to learn a little about the southern lifestyle. In Savannah David's friend organized a guided tour for us and we learned a lot about the ghosts of Savannah, who still haunt the city. ;-)

Since I had to go to Germany to get my visa renewed, David and I planned a trip to Germany/Denmark in June. When we landed in Frankfurt I went to the US consulate, where I found out that I was missing a document. My planned 2h stay at the consulate ended up being a project of 4h. But I was really lucky I got my visa in the end. Although I didn't get my visa/passport right away, since they changed the process and it now takes up to 5 days to get the passport returned in the mail. While I was at the consulate David did some sightseeing in Frankfurt on his own. After he picked me up from the consulate we met up with my friend Sandra, who was renovating her new apartment she and her boyfriend rented together. In the afternoon we

flew to Copenhagen from where we then took the train to Odense to meet up with my parents. We stayed with my parents for 2 nights and had the most beautiful weather we could have wished for. Luckily, the good weather continued when we spent a day in Copenhagen, where we were able to meet up with my cousins Kirsten, Peter and Mette and their kids, as well as two of David's friends from his Kilimandscharo trip last year. The last 2 nights we got to spend in Berlin. Both of us loved Berlin a lot. I only got worried when I learned from my friend Sandra that my passport hadn't arrived in the mail, which caused some complications with our flights, since David couldn't fly home by himself (Lufthansa rule), but he had to go back to work on Monday. I had worked out a back-up plan, but I was still pretty nervous. In the afternoon I got a phone call from my friend that my passport had arrived after all. I guess they have two different postal services in Germany. So, we could go back to Plan A and flew home together on Sunday.

During the summer we got to attend four beautiful and very different weddings. My friend Michelle got married to her fiancé Ross at her private home in the backyard. It was a very intimate wedding of only 40 people and it was absolutely beautiful. In July we got to travel to Arkansas, where David's friend Jay got married. Since the groom and all groomsmen are in the military, the guys got to wear their uniforms and they performed a sword arch for the married couple leaving the church. For Labor Day weekend we took a trip to Burlington, VT, where we celebrated the wedding of David's cousin Jason and his fiancée Chelsea at Eagle Camp, which is a campground right a Lake Champlain. And last but not least my friends Cheryl and Michael got married in Mexico in October and had their reception in the wine country of VA, which was a beautiful location for a wedding.

In October I had to go back to Germany for a few days as my grandmother of 93 years had passed away. We had a small and intimate funeral with close friends and relatives.
When I came home from my trip I had to get ready for knee surgery. In August I had torn my meniscus, without actually noticing it at first. I was a little in pain, when I skated. But it wasn't really bad that I would go to an orthopedist. Only after I had signed up for a 10K and started training I got in a lot of pain and finally went to the Dr. Since I had torn my ACL 17 years ago, he recommended to fix everything - ACL and meniscus. So, I had that done mid October. My rehab is coming along. I can walk normal again and only have problems with stairs. Hopefully by the end of January I will get the ok to start running again. Skating will probably have to wait until May.

On Halloween David ran the Marine Corps Marathon in DC. It was his first marathon and he finished in 4:11. We had beautiful weather and even though I was still on crutches I enjoyed the day a lot. Although I thought I deserved a medal myself at the end of the day. ;-)

In November David took me to the 235th US Marine Corps Birthday ball. 3,000 people attended the ball and it was truly an amazing experience.

David and I just got back from San Francisco where we visited his cousin Jason and his wife Chelsea. Despite the rain we had pretty much the entire weekend, we had a great time getting in some sightseeing and enjoying each others company. Earlier this month we went to visit David's cousin Seth and his girlfriend Laura in Boston. So, I can say it was "Cousin-Appreciation-Month". ;-)

Now, it's time for me to wish you all a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year. I hope wherever you will spend the holidays you will have an enjoyable time.

Love,
Franziska

No comments:

Post a Comment